This is a quick way to cook something very tasty. Balsamic vinegar replaces the need for any oil or salt.
Serves 2 @ 200 calories each (+ 125 for bread & yoghurt)
45ml balsamic vingear
1 tin (240g) chickpeas (tinned in just water, not with salt/sugar)
1 red pepper
2 tsp dried mint
1 chilli (optional)
1 red onion (optional)
Wholemeal pitta bread or other bread
1) Slice the red peppers (and red onion, if you’re using it) into fine strips (the finer you slice them, the quicker they’ll cook).
2) Add the balsamic vinegar to the pan on a medium heat.
3) Add the rest of the ingredients: rinsed chickpeas, sliced veg and the dried mint.
4) Cook until the peppers and onions are floppy, and the only liquid is coating the chickpeas. About 5 minutes.
Lid off: Cook with the lid off if you can stay by the pan to frequently stir it. You’ll get a thicker coating of balsamic this way. If the pan dries out before the vegetables are soft and floppy, add more balsamic.
Lid on: Cook with the lid on and shake the pan vigorously once a minute. Remove the lid if the vegetables are cooked before the balsamic has reduced enough, to cook off the remaining liquids.
6) Serve with a large dollop of yoghurt and bread (these will add about 125 calories).