This is my recipe for a fresh-tasting broccoli and sweetcorn soup with lemon, garlic and olive oil.
Makes 4-5 servings.
A 380g (13 oz) serving contains:
- 186 calories
- 7g protein
- 28g carbohydrates
- 7g fat
- 6g fibre
620g (22 oz) fresh broccoli (florets and stalks)
2 sweetcorn cobs
20g (0.7 oz) extra virgin olive oil
10g (0.4 oz) garlic
Optional serving extras
extra virgin olive oil
1) Cut off the brown end of the broccoli stalk. Remove any tough bits from the stalk and chop into inch chunks. Break up the head into florets.
2a) Steam the broccoli for 6-10 minutes or just until tender but still dark green. If the broccoli goes mushy and pale, it’s over-cooked.
2b) If the saucepan you use for boiling water to steam is big enough, use it to boil the sweetcorn at the same time. Otherwise, boil the sweetcorn cobs.
3) Keep the liquid used for steaming / boiling.
4) Rinse the broccoli in cold water to stop the green fading.
5) Cut the sweetcorn kernels from the two cobs.
6) Put aside about ten small broccoli florets and half the sweetcorn (for step 9).
7a) Add 750 ml (25 fl oz – US) of the cooking liquid to your liquidiser. If you don’t have enough, use boiled water.
7b) Add the peeled garlic, peeled and de-pipped lemons, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.
7c) Add the broccoli and sweetcorn (not including those you kept aside in step 6).
8) Liquidise, adding more cooking liquid, if necessary, to achieve a thick soup.
9) Add back to the pan with the sweetcorn kernels and broccoli florets – reheat before serving.
Add a drizzle (2g / half a teaspoon) of extra virgin olive oil (+ 16 calories)
50g (1.8 oz) cubed light mozzarella (+ 82 calories) (add to the bowl before the hot soup)
|extra virgin olive oil||164||0.0||0.0||18.3||0.0|